Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Daily Word: Treat Yourself Nicely

Psalm 19:14:  Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

When it comes to our interactions with other people, the golden rule applies:  Do unto others as you would them do unto you.  We know that we should treat each person we encounter with dignity and respect; that we shouldn't gossip; that we shouldn't belittle anyone; that we shouldn't tell lies.  The words that we say carry weight.  Mean, hurtful, negative words have lasting impacts on the hearer as well as the speaker.  Studies have shown that negative speech and negative attitudes even have negative health implications.  So it makes good sense that we be positive, that we speak positivity, and that we treat each other nicely.  But do we extend the same courtesy to ourselves?

I confess that I am my biggest critic.  I criticize myself for flaking out on plans.  I berate myself for making mistakes.  I feel disappointed in myself for not being able to keep my house as clean as I want, or cook 4 course meals the way that I'd like.  No one is harder on me than I am.  But is that attitude acceptable in the sight of the LORD?  Probably not.

The fact of the matter is that I need to cut myself some slack and remember that I am a child of God.  God doesn't want me talking about me to me any old kinda way.(Bet you can't say that 5 times fast!)  He expects that I will be mindful of the words that come out of my mouth and the contents of my heart, even when the words and thoughts are directed towards myself.

So today, let the words of your mouth and the meditation of your heart be positive, especially when it comes to YOU.  Treat yourself just as nicely as you would expect someone else to treat you.  --Lady S.

No comments:

Post a Comment