Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Domestic Diva Corner: Bedtime

OK... its confession time.  Bedtime in my house is... an experience.  My daughter is, in her own words, "never tired".  And in her 3 years of life, she has proven that she can easily stay up until midnight if given the opportunity.  Bedtime makes me want to pull my hair out, mostly because I'm so tired, and I can't understand how or why my beautiful girl doesn't angelically float to her bed, lay down, and drift peacefully off to sleep.  I started to think it was only me.  Especially after my cousin recently disclosed that his daughter is in the bed at 7:30 every night with no exceptions.  And then I read this post over at Inspired to Action and breathed a heavy sigh of relief.  I'm not the only one.  And what was even more beautiful was that it lead me to this post from I Take Joy.  In a nutshell, the writer talks about how she prioritized bedtime with her children, made it a special time, and closed every day with a blessing.  The post is so beautiful and inspiring.  It just really moved me, and I hope it will move you too.  --Lady S.

1 comment:

  1. Fellow counselor, bedtime can be an adventure! I learned from a friend with a child who won't go to sleep. She gave me a "baby sleep book" while I was pregnant that I read because she terrified me wtih her stories. I've been blessed. It worked. Our 20 month old goes to sleep around 9. If we keep her up till 10 she starts to protest or starts going upstairs. She knows her bedtime and sleeps 12 hours straight, religiously. I know that we're blessed. I almost don't want to write this post. I'm afraid that I'll jinx our good fortune... Hang in there. Perhaps if you start a wind down ritual-turn off the TV two hours before bedtime, give her a warm bath and a massage, and a story. Make going to bed an event and a leisurely process. Hope that helps! Following your blog from Twitter. I would be honored if you followed mine at http://chatonsworld.blogspot.com and "liked" my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/chatonsworldpage.

    ReplyDelete