Friday, October 28, 2011

Daily Bread: No previous work experience necessary

“But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.”  Galatians 1:11

The Galatians were a group of Gentiles who were converted by Paul. Once Paul left, a group of people came to preach another doctrine to the Galatians.  They tried to discredit Paul and the gospel that Paul brought. They claimed that Paul didn't even have the authority or the training to preach the gospel.

Paul addresses these claims head on in his letter to the Galatians.  He says that perhaps his call may seem inferior,  but these other people who have come along; they are either called of men or by man.  Paul says that his call is the highest possible.  He was called by God and Jesus Christ.  Paul says he is qualified to preach the gospel because God and His Prophet said so.

This made me think that Paul’s boldness could apply to me and my life.  There are things in my life that I feel are my ministry.  There are things that I do that come naturally to me; talents that I didn’t know that I had until God saw fit to use me in that way.  And sometimes I have doubts.  I am, afterall, my biggest critic.  I think, who am to write with such authority?  Who am I to speak about doctrine with such confidence and conviction?  I didn’t go to school for this.  I don’t have any previous work experience.  What are my qualifications?

Paul’s response to the questions about his qualifications is the TRUTH. He says in Galatians 1:11,  “But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.”  I don’t need any certification from man to do what God has called me to do.   I don’t believe Paul was stating this in  an arrogant way.  But I believe that he was just making a bold declaration  that once God has called you to do something, that’s it.  Its done.  Shut down the doubts and the disbelief.  You don’t need man (or woman)  to validate you or tell you that you're qualified.

Embrace your calling.  Do what God has called you to do.  And do it with confidence.  Don't allow others to doubt your qualifications, and more importantly don't doubt yourself. You are qualified because God said so.  --Lady S.

No comments:

Post a Comment