Saturday, October 1, 2011

Daily Word: You are not alone

1 John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

I am really bad at admitting my mistakes.  My father used to call me "wrong and strong" because even if it was clear that I was wrong, I'd be stubborn in my wrongness and stick with it until the very end. I hate being wrong.  I hate making mistakes.  Mostly because it carries with it this feeling that everyone else is doing the right thing; that nobody would be foolish enough to make the same mistake that I did.

This, of course, is not true.  Everyone makes mistakes.  Everyone is wrong at one time or another.  Everyone has sinned. And if the tell you they haven't, the scripture says the truth is not in them.  To acknowledge that we are all human and that we make mistakes works to a certain extent. It gives me the strength to acknowledge mistakes when I make them, because I know that I am not alone.  I am not the only one who falls short sometimes.

But I must take responsibility for some of the mistakes that I tend to make over and over again.  I must acknowledge the mistakes I've made AND do something to change that behavior. Change is hard work.  It requires accountability and constantly reminding myself that I want to walk in a new way.  I have to be truthful with myself.  I'm not going to get it right all the time.  But with a strong desire and with God's help, I can do anything. --Lady S.

No comments:

Post a Comment